Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Cautiously Optimistic

It has been a frustrating 3.5 months post 100 miler, but I am cautiously optimistic that things have turned for the better!
I completed not one, but two rounds of rehab, had two cortisone shots in different places, wore a knee brace for 6 weeks and have done very little running. 

A few things that kept me somewhat sane during this process were:
1) I completed my goal!  It is much easier to be patient when you have already completed your goal.  I tried to look at this time off as just a part of the process.
2) I was able to spend lots of quality time on my bike and I was thrilled to have that outlet.
3) I knew it could be much worse.  I had a teammate break his back and another break her collar bone.  Having spent the better part of 5 years training for and racing endurance events, having a forced couple of months off after accomplishing something that I thought was impossible a year ago, was not the end of the world. I have had other small injuries during this time, but nothing that kept me from training or racing for any signficant amount of time.

I am going to be taking it slow and continuing the strength training for my knee and when I have a decent base I will start thinking about late season goals.  As my doctor said, "Do half as much as you think you should and cross training is your friend."

Patience, patience, patience ...

No comments: