Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ironman Florida – Quick Race Report

13:03:52
A full race report is forthcoming, but I want to spend some time on the report so that I can really capture how I felt on each leg of the race. Stay tuned for all of the gory details …

In the mean time, I am in a surreal bubble right now … I can’t believe that the race is over and that I am officially an Ironman! IMFL was the perfect first Ironman and nearly a perfect race.

The highs:
- The first loop of the swim -- no mosh pit, just clear water and what felt like a great stroke (starting down the beach made all the difference)

- Getting a surprise note in my bike special needs bag from my family, “Keep moving forward.” This is a quote from the Disney movie Meet the Robinsons that I love and it was exactly what I needed. Seeing my family on the bike course about 20 miles later was a great treat too!

- Running the entire marathon … and doing it in 4:30!

The lows:
- The second loop of the swim – the chop started and it was not nearly as “easy” as the first loop. My splits were almost even though, considering the run along the beach required to start the second loop.

- The headwind on the bike and my pace. I know I am a stronger biker than my bike split and the only thing that makes me feel better (or worse) is that I realized after the race my brake was slightly rubbing. Not much, but enough to make a small difference. Maybe.

What I wish I had done differently:
- There are lots of places in my day that I could find 3 minutes and 53 seconds to break 13 hours … skipping a potty stop, not putting on arm warmers, trying to adjust the brake, etc. I am NOT going to pick apart my race though.

- Slow down near the grand stands, walk if needed, to find my family. I looked but was overwhelmed by the number of people and the noise. We didn’t coordinate ahead of time where they were going to be and I couldn’t hear them screaming for me over the crowd. I didn’t hear Mike Reilly say my name, but I heard him say, “from Houston, Texas” and Douglas told me that he did say it. I am looking forward to video so that I can hear it myself.

- Raise my hands and smile when crossing the finish line. I was thrilled but I had a deer in the headlights look.

- Coordinate with Douglas where to meet afterwards. Athletes get shuttled off in an athletes only area and the crowd made it difficult for Douglas to quickly get to me. There were so many people and I spent 10 + minutes looking for him and not knowing if he even saw me cross the finish line. It was a major bummer at the time.

Overall...
I am cloud 9. I hit 2 of my 3 goals, and got very close to the third in my first Ironman.

Goal 1 – Finish: Did it!
Goal 2 – Run the entire marathon: Did it!
Goal 3 – Sub 13: Next time!

I was planning to post something the evening of the race, but when I got online to login I was so blown away by the sweet note from Douglas that I decided I wanted to keep it as the top post for a couple of days.

I got emotional several times during the day, but I never cried … but I was overcome in reading my husband’s sweet note. His unending love and support made this journey possible.

Race Stats
Overall Place: 1423/2423
Overall Time: 13:03:52
Division Place: 49/95

Swim Overall Place: 1755
Swim Division Place: 65
Swim Lap 1: 42:19
Swim Lap 2: 44:51
Pace per 100M: 2:18
Total Swim Time: 1:27:09

T1: 8:46

Bike Division Place: 68
Bike Overall Place: 2026
Bike Pace: 16.3 mph
Bike Time: 6:52:08

T2: 5:37

Run Division Place: 33
Run Overall Place: 807
Run Pace: 10:19
Run Time: 4:30:14

10 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I was wondering what that flash was that went by me on the run!! It was YOU

Unknown said...

(wiping away tears...) Anne!! I'm so proud of you. What an accomplishment! I love the fact that you are already talking about the next one!! Bravo, my friend!!!

Kendra said...

Congratulations on an awesome race! Great job!

Trishie said...

I am SO PROUD OF YOU, IRONMAN! talked to a friend who did the race who also said the second loop of the swim was a ROUGH ONE! looking forward to the whole race report :)

Allie said...

Congrats Anne!!!! Awesome job!

goSonja said...

Anne! You killed it, I'm so glad that you had such a perfect day for your first Ironman. You must have done ALL THE RIGHT THINGS. Potty break....arm warmers...meh...you did just fabulous!

Way to rock the Trakkers hat! Woot!

Kristin Bradfield said...

Congrats! Great race Ironman!

The Traveling Yogi said...

Congrats on a great race! As a finish line catcher, I noticed lots of people coming across the finish line would immediately look down at the ground like "whew, I'm done". I made a mental note to myself to keep looking up and smile next year.

Jamie said...

Awesome race! I was checking in to follow you a few times throughout the day. Way to rock it!

Erin said...

CONGRATS Anne! We were all cheering you on from the pool. You did an incredible job!