Monday, December 17, 2012

PowerBar Energy Blast - Product Review

Since starting my 100 miler training, the most frequent questions I get are:

1 - Why?
2 - How long will it take?
3 - How and what do you eat?

I don't have a noble answer for #1, really it is just because I want to do it.  #2, Rocky allows you up to 30 hours to finish.  Other 100 mile races have different cut offs.

Now, for #3 ...

I am a big believer that being open to variety when training and racing these distances is important.  You never know what your body will crave or worse, not desire, at any point.

For me, the backbone of my nutrition plan are a handful of my favorite PowerBar products coupled with some solid food I will enjoy along the course.  I plan to eat at regular intervals, but I never know when I will need extra fuel, so PowerBar products are in my pack and at the ready. The PowerBar Performance and Harvest Bars, Energy Gels and my favorite the PowerBar Energy Blasts in Cola flavor with 2x Caffeine are my staples.

What I love about the PowerBar Energy Blasts gels is that I can take my calories in gradually, enjoying one energy blast every 10 minutes or so.  This works great for me as small rewards for making progress and as a way to take in fewer calories if I just need something to hold me over to the next aid station.  Six Energy Blasts gel filled chews are the energy equivalent of one PowerBar Energy Gel.

Also, unlike my experience with Cliff Shot Blocks, they don't get hard, even in cold weather, so they are easy to chew and they don't hurt my jaw.  They remind me of my favorite cola gummies I used to eat when I was growing up!

What's important to me and why I use PowerBar products is they are specially formulated for athletes to provide our bodies with what we need while we are pushing ourselves.  I know that I can trust PowerBar to provide the balance of nutrition I need to perform at my optimal level.

The science behind PowerBar's Energy Blasts filled chews ...

They're formulated with PowerBar® C2MAX dual source energy blend, a 2:1 glucose to fructose blend found to deliver 20–50% more energy to muscles than glucose alone and improve endurance performance by 8%.

Key features:

- Taste great!
- Provides more energy to muscles with C2MAX
- Resealable pouch
- No preservatives or artificial flavors

PowerBar Energy Blasts gel filled chews are available with or without caffeine. My favorite, the Cola flavor contains 2X caffeine which is 50 mg per 6 pieces, 75 mg per pouch.   So, any guesses on how many individual chews I will eat over 100 miles? :)

No comments: