Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Family Affair

The day I have been waiting for has finally come ... Andrew, my 7 year old, came with me on his bike for my 11 mile run and he did great! I love the quality time it created for us and he even told me during the run that he really liked being out there with me. The best part? He keeps asking when he can go out again!

Tyler, my 4 year old, joined us for the last 2 miles or so (he peters out after that) and then insisted or running the last .25 miles with me because he just loves to run, and even more so, he loves to run with me!

I love sharing my passion with them and I love that they too are enjoying the exercise and developing good habits now --- plus, it removes some of the mommy guilt of training when you can use training time as quality time!

2 comments:

TriMOEngr said...

LOVE THIS! Awesome when you can "multi-task" like that! I took my kids (7 and 10) on a few of my shorter bike rides this summer/fall. My 10 year old is capable of keeping up on everything except some hills, but HATES it (I took based on some serious bribery as he NEEDS to be more active). My 7 year old WANTS to do it, but isn't quite fast enough on the bike yet to bike "with" me for very long, but I went on the slower side and only did one hill and she managed ok. I have tried having her bike while I "run", but I'm not much of a runner yet and she can way outpace me on her bike. She loves to run though - kept up with me for the most part on a 5K this summer (probably only slowed me down by about 5 min because I'm pretty slow).

Matthew Smith said...

That is just so cool! I think it's great that your kids want so much to be with you while you workout. They sound like really cool kids!