Saturday, November 19, 2011

Injury Update and What's Next

It has been two weeks since the 50K and things are starting to look up. I have learned over seasons of endurance training that if I don't let my body recover properly, I pay for it.

I am (loosely) following Hal Higdon's 4 weeks between marathons plan, which essentially has a reverse taper, two weeks of 30-ish mile weeks and then a taper the week of next marathon. He even encourages cross training in the two 30-ish mile weeks in place of running workouts, if that is what your body needs.

I have been spending some quality time on the elliptical to let my ankle recover properly and I think it is nearly 100% now. I did a 6 mile run today and felt great! My calf, which was bothering me for weeks before the 50K, still flares up, but it is manageable and I am doing calf stretches to improve the range of motion in my calf and ankle. Tomorrow is my first longish run (2 hours) since the race, so I will see how those deep muscles are feeling.

I am really looking forward to a bit of R & R this week beginning on Wednesday. I think it will be just what the doctor ordered for both my body and my sanity! It may even give me some time to reflect on what my goals (and ultimately) races will be for 2012.

Happy Training, Safe Travels and Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

I think you're wise to let your body rest and heal between events. There are so many people out there that never heal because they a constantly pushing the injury to a worse place! Way to use your head!

Caratunk Girl said...

Good to give your body the rest it needs!! A little time off/easy time now will save you tons of frustration later!

Unknown said...

Wish I was doing the next 50k with ya! Good to hear the ankle is feeling better. Hopefully it will cool off again, this warm weather has been ridiculous the last few days.