Monday, January 7, 2013

Rights of Passage - Ultra Version

There are all sorts of rights of passage in life ...

Learning to walk, your first words, learning to ride a bike, learning to read, learning to drive, your first kiss, graduating from college, your first job, getting married, having a baby ... just to name a few.

Then there are sports rights of passage like racing at new distances, qualifying for a special race, or trying a new sport.

In training for Rocky, I have added quite a few rights of passage to my sports resume, including a few unexpected ones.  Blood, blisters, twisted ankles - check.  Finding a bush to serve as a porta potty - check.  Over night run - check.  Completing a race and then adding mileage - check.  Running further than I ever have before - check. 

However, until now, in my last peak week of training, I have been able to avoid one big right of passage, but alas, this weekend, I will be crossing this one off my list as well.  A long (as in 50 miles long), unsupported training run. 

I was able to align all of my long training runs with races until now, and while there are several races this weekend, I think that mentally, I need this.  I need it for the distance, for the unssupported nature, for the terrain (I am running the course) and most importantly, for the mental challenge. 

The last right of passage in this journey? .... Running 100 miles.

What rights of passage have you had lately?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember thinking the same types of things as I was training for my first 140.6. Of course, I was thinking "wow first 100 mi ride" not RUN!! You go girl! You are going to have a great run this weekend! Good luck!

Trishie said...

wow, that takes some mental and physical fortitude !

Kacie Darden said...

Can't WAIT to cheer for you!