My volume ramped back up in February and I had some great workouts, especially on the running front. For every great day, however, there seems to be those not so stellar days, like last Friday. It amazes me how one day I can run 4 miles at a 7:36 pace with effort but still at ease (if that makes sense) and then struggle to pick my feet up to run 2 miles at a 9:15 pace later that same week. It is a major reminder for me that nutrition and rest are key components to training.
February by the Numbers
Bike: 19h 53m - 324 Mi
Run: 17h 21m - 108 Mi
Swim: 12h 00m - 27,550 Yd
Other/Strength: 1h 43m
Total Active Time - 50h 57m
1. Reading the Bible cover to cover -- can I change my goal for the year? I am so far behind in this goal, but I have been going to Mass weekly, which is another goal that I started working on late in 2009, the Sunday after Ironman, in fact. I just feel like I am so far behind that I will never catch up, so I don't even try.
2. Photography -- I took Tyler's 3 year old photos and bought a new lens! Looking forward to playing with my new toy this month.
3. Weekly stretching -- I am moving this to an as needed basis. I have found that lunges, squats and core work do a lot more for my hip pain (which is basically gone now!) My new custom orthotics, which by the way, were covered at 100% by my insurance, are helping as well.
4. Nutrition -- I am doing slightly better on drinking water and I ordered and received my first order from First Endurance. I love the EFS Fruit Punch sport drink and I am looking forward to seeing how all of the electrolytes help me hold up to the Texas heat this summer. With my workouts getting longer, I also ordered Ultragen and I am looking forward to putting it to good use.
5. Strength Training -- Push ups, planks, lunges, squats and sit-ups have become my friends. I am still looking for a good ab workout that I can watch and follow along -- would love your suggestions.
6. Swim Technique -- Progress! I think I am at least back to where I was during peak training last season, so now it is time to fine tune this month.7. Fun goals -- Races are coming up next month - stay tuned!