Sunday, September 13, 2009

What A Difference A Week Makes!

I could not have asked for a better long ride/brick today to give me a major confidence boost going into the Redman Full Aquabike next week. Everything that was tough last week felt *almost* easy today.

I did the Tour De Pink Century, but smartie Anne, somehow missed the finish line and ended up logging 101.75 miles in 5:42 (moving avg of 17.7 mph). I followed that with a 5 mile, 45 minute run. I never got truly uncomfortable on my bike today and I can tell that all of the time in the saddle is starting to pay off.

I was really nervous when I started my post-ride run, but I could tell immediately that my legs felt great, especially my calves which bothered me last week. My knee felt great too, so I think the time on the foam roller is making a difference -- I highly recommend spending some QT on a foam roller while you are watching your favorite TV show.

The second best part about today's ride was that because it was an organized ride I did not wear my iPod and yet, I managed to keep myself entertained, despite the fact that there were long stretches where I didn't see anyone (at least in a race there is a lot to look at). That also meant I did my run without my iPod too :)

Oh, and my legs feel great tonight!

I am excited and nervous about Redman next week, this will be my longest race yet, plus the short run I plan to do should be me at about 8:00+ hours on the course. This is my last race before IMFL and I am hoping it will be a good exercise to prepare me mentally for what I will feel like coming off the bike in Panama City Beach.

Finally, congrats to all of the IMWI finishers! IMFL is the next Continental US IM! 8 weeks to go!

Mileage for Week Ending 9/13/09
Swim: 7400 yards in 3:00 [2 workouts]
Bike: 150.2 miles in 8:29 [4 workouts, 2 bricks]
Run: 37.5 miles in 5:47 [5 workouts, 2 bricks]
Total Time: 17:17

1 comment:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Great training!

I wish I had the ability to put in as many miles as you, Trishie and the rest of the IM gang. But these old bones can only do so much.... like drink wine in Montreal (that was a tough week!)

Be sure to wait for me at the finish!