Sunday, January 10, 2010


You know, the thing about decisions for me is that they can be hard to make, but once they are made I feel so much better. I try not to question the decision, but stick with the plan that was made as a result of the decision.

After some soul searching and a heart to heart with my super supportive hubby, I decided not to run the Rocky Raccoon 50 miler. First, I had to ask myself why this race was so important to me.

I just needed to be honest with myself to realize the reason the race was really important to me was that my training partner and I had discussed doing this together and I did not want to let him down.

Do I want to do an ultra one day? Yes. Do I want to do an ultra less than 1 month from now after coming off an injury and 3 weeks of no running? Ummm, no.

Rocky was never an A race, it was a space filler, something to train for during the off season. So why risk aggravating an injury that could jeapordize my entire tri season? I want to train for an ultra and be able to treat it as an A race.

I felt like a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders when I told my buddy that I was not going to run. I volunteered to go out and support him on the course and even volunteer at the race, if he chooses to run it.

With that, there is no looking back. I am finishing up PT, enjoying the rest of my off season (with a new reduced schedule!), and looking at a couple of shorter road races to add some fun in to the schedule in February.

I have two races in April that I am targeting, a new Oly distance race put on by the race directors that do Escape from Alcatraz, called Gateway to the Bay (April 11) and the Lonestar 70.3 (April 24), two weeks later.

My training is going to have to start in earnest in abut two weeks, so I am going to try to have as much fun as I can over the next two weeks - mixing up my workouts and not worrying about mileage.

Oh, and very exciting news ... I was cleared for a test run! I ran 4 miles on Saturday with NO PAIN! I will be s-l-o-w-l-y building my mileage back up over the next month, provided the PT is happy with my progress on Monday.

Mileage for Week Ending 1/10/2010
Swim: 2200 yards in 1:00
Bike: 20 miles in 1:15
Run: 4 miles in 0:37
Elliptical: 2:45
Rowing: 0:15
Total Active Time: 5:52

Stretching / Foam Roller / Push Ups / Core: 1:05

Happy training!



Not sure when the RR is but you made the correct choice if you have been having injury issues.

I too, always wanted to do RR when I lived there but never got around to it (I guess I really didn't want to do it..)

RockstarTri said...

I like your focus of healing focus of healing then preparing. Delaying the ultra seems wise.

Ordinarylife said...

I think not doing that race is a very wise decision.

I also want to do an Ultra as an A race so am giving myself plenty of time to prepare. (its in 2011). I will have to see with a new baby though how realistic it is.

It is the Comrades Marathon in South Africa

Big Daddy Diesel said...

"So why risk aggravating an injury that could jeapordize my entire tri season?"

That is exactly my logic when it comes down to it. Better to skip a race so you can race again, then race and not have a chance to do another. You made a wise decision.

Bill said...

It takes a wise athlete to know when to not do an event. Better smart, than too proud to back out.

jessithompson said...

Smart, smart girl.

Jennifer said...

Good luck with all your training, you seem to do an amazing balancing job! I too hope to run an ultra, right now I'm just trying to get to my first marathon. Cheers!

Joel said...

Anne - mixed feelings on your decision. It's clear from your posts that you wanted to do the ultra - but given your injury issue, probably a better decision to forgo the race. There's always next year! Hope you continue to heal, and good luck with your races in April.

Kristin said...

Brave choice, Anne. Also coming from an injury I can relate. You'll do your ultra eventually and you'll do it even better. Congrats on being pain free!