So, I took a vacation day today to get in my long brick and was disappointed that rain was in the forecast. I figured I would get in as much as I could and brave the weather, if needed. Well, 1:20 into my ride I made a quick pit stop to fill my water bottle at the Monaville General Store (small town 30 minutes outside of Houston). I got back on my bike with intentions of riding back to my car, so I wouldn't be too far from it if the weather got bad. Well, not 2 minutes later, the temperature dropped 20 degrees and the wind gusts started, and with it a light rain.
I immediately got nervous. I was 20-something miles from my car with not many opportunities to seek shelter. The die-hard in me wanted to brave the weather and be a bad ass, but my sensible self who wants to make it to the IMFL starting line decided to turn around and call my endlessly supportive husband for a ride back to my car. It was absolutely the right decision today. The rain and wind only got much worse and I can only imagine how that wind would have knocked me around.
So, I am sitting in the comfort of the Monaville General Store waiting for my Ironsherpa to save the day. I think he was so just happy that I made a smart decicion. So, it looks like I will be spending some quality time on the trainer this weekend to make up the difference. I will log the hours, but I don't think I will be able to make myself sit on the trainer for 4+ hours straight. We'll see ...
No matter what happens, I know in my bones I made the right call and this one ride is not going to make or break my training. It is the consistency over the last year that will make the difference come race day.