Tuesday, December 15, 2009

And the verdict is ...

Tendinitis of the anterior tibial tendon in my left foot.

What does that mean? It is likely an overuse injury, but the podiatrist was not overly concerned. A prescription for an anti-inflammatory and directions to heat, rub, and ice [repeat] later, I was out of the office within 10 minutes. Note, he was specific that I could continue running. He said that while it might hurt, I was not going to cause any long term damage by continuing to run. He said I should be mostly better in 3 weeks ... the count starts now.

I am also battling a case of what may be piriformis syndrome (per my PT). Again, likely from overuse, but the right combo of stretches and massage seem to be doing the trick.

Note for the record - I am committing now to seriously cut back on my running after this ultra (which will put me in the range of normal for most triathletes!). I think that will make a big difference in how I feel as I start the tri season.

Keep moving forward ...

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Ugh! Major bummer! Hopefully you are as good as new in 3 weeks.

Ironman By Thirty said...

The positive side of this is that now you know it isn't super serious and doesn't have to affect your training. Just a little pain to remind you that you are hardcore for the next 3 weeks! Hopefully it heals up quickly!

Mike Russell said...

How in the world did your doctor diagnose that?

Kendra said...

Are you using a foam roller on the piriformis? So helpful! Do you have some downtime planned post-ultra before your tri season starts?

Big Daddy Diesel said...

At least its the offseason and you can rest it properly and be ready for the season. We all know if we are injured in the season, we tend to push thru the pain, which isnt smart.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Rest is key.
By the way, you win.. I guess I didn't make the contest difficult enough.
(actually I am just looking to make the circulation of my book at least 1)

jessithompson said...

Crap! Wishing you quick healing!

Trishie said...

Feel better! Sending healing vibes your way..