Wednesday, December 23, 2009

On the Bench

Despite some improvements, my PT put me on the bench Wednesday. To his credit, we tried active recovery. I am just not improving enough and as I overcompensate, I am feeling pulls and strains in other places, like my calves (really, the soleus muscle). The last thing I want to do is get a season ending injury before the season starts!

I have been ordered to take a week off of EVERYTHING. No swimming, no biking and definitely no running! They really don't want me to do anything that engages my legs. They almost begged me to just take the entire week off (no yoga, no pilates, etc) and to just do the excercises they gave me.

Rather than being frustrated, I am going to enjoy the time off a la Steve in a Speedo and spend the quality time with my family. I will do the strengthening exercises and stretches and maybe some core work and push ups, but that is it. I am confident that if I am good for this week that when I go in for my evaluation Tuesday morning I will be cleared to at least swim and bike again. I have a feeling that they are going to suggest additional time out of my running shoes though ... (let's face it, I am really only doing 5 days of nothing as it stands since I biked Wednesday at lunch before PT).

So, how do I feel about all this and what does it mean for the Rocky Raccoon 50?

I have mixed feelings, to be honest. I worked extremely hard for nearly 2 years straight to get to Ironman. I got there injury free and had an amazing race. I can see the big picture and I am not going to be selfish. Being an athlete means respecting my body, and as the PT reminded me, this is not my source of income.

I still really want to do the Rocky 50, but I will not be broken hearted if I have to miss it ... definitely not like I would have been to miss Ironman. It is all going to depend on how much time I have to take off and the improvements I make in that period. There will be other opportunities to do an Ultra and the practical person in me is happy because I haven't actually registered for the race yet (I was waiting to see how my recovery progressed).

Gluttony, here I come! Good thing New Year's resolutions are around the corner ...

5 comments:

Bill said...

It takes a strong willed athlete to take an unwanted break from training, but its best for the long run (pun intended). Rest up, get better, and consider the JFK 50 Mile run in Maryland next November as an Ultra. I'm getting together a group to do this as my 1st ultra. There are 3 of us currently, with one being a multiple JFK veteran.

Unknown said...

Hang in there, Anne. Take your recovery seriously, because a week or two off now is WAY better than having to take off half the season!

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Enjoy your boys and eat lots, then you can focus on getting better!

Kristin Bradfield said...

Taking a break is the right thing to do. After a 4 month recovery I'm still not back on track, trust me, you want to avoid that! A little break now should set you up to come back even more strong.

Trishie said...

(((Anne))) ... heal nicely.. sending recovery vibes your way !

Love and Puppies, Christy said...

Good luck with recovery!