Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Off the Bench and Other Musings

Good news: I was partially released from the PT to do everything ...

Bad news: ... but running. I am out of my running shoes until January 9. In the mean time, I think I am going to have to start a love affair with the Elliptical machine.

With my new freedom and my PT's blessing, I hit the pool this morning. It was my first time in several weeks to swim and as such I thought I would feel phenomenal, gliding through the water after coming off a week's rest.

Umm, no.

The good news was that I had not forgotten how to swim, but I definitely didn't feel like a fish. It was a good reminder to me on why I don't take time away from the pool. I have decided I need one of these to keep me motivated in the pool.

I did hit the deck and do 5 sets of 10 push-ups immediately after my swim ... the pool was empty, otherwise, I probably would have been too intimitated, but I was really happy with myself afterwards.

With my second season of triathlon behind me, I want my focus this upcoming year to be on getting stronger (hence the push-ups) and ultimately working smarter, not necessarily harder. Goals/resolutions for 2010 coming soon ...

Mileage for Week Ending 12/27/09
Swim: 0 yards in 0:00
Bike: 16 miles in 1:00
Run: 16.4 miles in 2:30[2 workouts]
Total Time: 3:30

And for your reading pleasure, How to Train for Triathon without Getting a Divorce ...

4 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

- That reminds me I need to order my backup pair.

- Good to hear your being released by PT

- I need to get something like that for the pool, I bet it makes so much easier to swim longer.

Mike Russell said...

Cool article. I always try to train when the rest of the family is asleep. My boys are in bed from 8 pm until 8 am, so I get most of my workouts in during their sleep time and my wife rarely complains.

The one piece I always have trouble with is how irritable I get when my blood sugar drops a lot. I have to really watch my moods so I am not "that Dad."

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

My book (yes your free copy will be coming... soon) concurs with all of that. Although, had I been more type A, an extra 10 hours run training this year might have made me cross the line with you. Hmmmmmm

Unknown said...

So glad you are on the mend!! Have a great New Year!!